Saturday, February 6, 2010

It Is Not a Freddy Quilt, It Is a Pineapple Quilt

OK, one more of the quilts that was finished this last year.  The pattern is called the pineapple block, so I simply call this my Pineapple Quilt.  It was started (like a LOT of my projects, it seems) when I got back to California from South Africa.  I had always wanted to make a Pineapple Quilt, and there were lots of yummy bright-colored fabrics available to work with in 1994 and 1995.  Besides the bright fabrics in this quilt, there is a black fabric with white polka dots. The polka dotted fabric was a gift from Karen Matsumoto, and was just crying out to be used. Black is an obvious color to be used with brights, because it sets them off so nicely.  The polka dots were a direct contrast to the geometric lines of the block. I was happy with the materials, so what could be the problem?

The problem (at least in my mind) is that lots of people seem to think that I took my inspiration for this quilt from Freddy Moran.  Freddy is an amazing quilt artist and she makes wonderful quilts. She loves to mix bright fabrics with black and white fabrics, and I must say that she does have a knack for putting just the right fabrics together.  But I had not yet met or even heard of Freddy when I started my quilt.  So it kinda bothers me everytime somebody looks at my Pineapple Quilt and says "Oh, it's a Freddy quilt!" or "How lucky for you, you did a class with Freddy". Please take a look at this site to see more of Freddy Moran's work - you'll see that her work far surpasses mine.

Anyway, back to my Pineapple Quilt.  It was constructed using the Pineapple Rule from The Great American Quilt Factory. The finished size of this quilt is 62 X 52.  It was machine quilted on my trusty Bernina 1260 using a random running loop pattern with Warm and Natural Batting .

2 comments:

Lynda Milligan said...

Dear Sandi,
I love your pinapple quilt. It is so colorful. I hope you enjoyed working with the pineapple rule. Thank you for linking to our site.
Sincerely,
Lynda Milligan

American Quilter's Society said...

Sandi, thanks for leaving your blog site for us to read, it's a great blog. Check our facebook page on Friday to find out the winner of the Blog-of-the-Week!

You do beautiful work; keep it up!

www.americanquilter.com