Thursday, February 4, 2010

What a Sweet Treat!

So last night I went to my Tuesday night quilting group (Karen's Kids)  and shared good times with my friends.  We were all working on different projects, and I was able to take pictures of 3 more of the quilts that I made last year.  Those will not be posted today, but will be seen here in the coming week.  Today I want to share the cutest bag pattern I have seen in a long time.

This is called a Sweet Treat, and was developed for use with Honey Bun strips of Moda  Fabrics.  Michele from Karen's Kids picked up the pattern and some strips as a kit at a local quilt shop, and brought the kit to class. The next thing you know, everyone is making Sweet Treat bags for themselves and for Christmas gifts.  Except for Sandi, who was still looking for just the right fabrics to go with THE BUTTON.  THE BUTTON was a birthday gift a few years ago from my good friend Karla.  I have been wanting to use THE BUTTON, but the pattern and fabrics had to be just right because I love THE BUTTON. 

So, I knew this would be the right pattern the minute I saw it - I just needed the right fabrics.  Of  course they  would have to be batiks, because those are my favorites.  And I knew that the teal and purple-y batiks would be in the purse.  But I needed a 5th fabric, and I just wasn't finding what I wanted. Yesterday I finally discovered the pale olive middle fabric in my stash, and knew that it was time to start my bag.

Unfortunately, I was not able to find my copy of the Sweet Treat Bag pattern this morning.  So I Googled the name and found that this is a free pattern on the Moda Fabrics web site.  You can find a copy of the pattern by clicking here.  The beauty of the bag is in the unique construction - the bag is automatically self-lined.

These are quite addictive to make, as they go together so quickly and are perfect for embellishing.  It would make a great make-up or toiletries bag to pack for a quick week-end qet away, then could double as an evening clutch if you went out for dinner.  I can see that there are going to be lots more of these in my future - now I just need to find additional perfect buttons to embellish them. Guess that means a trip to Stonemountain and Daughter in Berkeley!

No comments: