Sunday, June 17, 2007

The World's Easiest Cake

No stamping today, but I do want to share one of my all-time favorite recipes with you - the South African quilters' yogurt cake. This cake is easy and fast to make up, and wonderfully moist. But before I give you the recipe, I would like to share the story of how this recipe came to me.



While living in South Africa, I decided to teach quilting out of my home because I needed money to purchase fabric for my own quilts. Now you need to know that food is central to anything that South Africans do, including classes of any sort. They are especially fond of "tea", which occurs at least twice during any day (once in the morning and once in the afternoon). "Tea" does not imply that the beverage called tea is actually drunk, tea implies that one stops whatever one is doing for at least 30 minutes to drink some sort of beverage and eat sweets. In fact, coffee is becoming the preferred beverage for tea. Anyway, one of my students brought this cake to class one day, and left the un-eaten remains for me to share with my family. Because of its' simplicity, this cake became the staple tea item that I served at all future classes. The ease of the cake is that the most of the ingredients are measured in the empty yogurt cup. I hope you enjoy this!

Place all ingredients (in order listed) in mixing bowl:

1 - 6 oz. cup of yogurt, any flavor (our favorite is strawberry, YUM!)

3 empty yogurt cups full of self rising flour

2 empty yogurt cups of sugar (note: recipe works well with Splenda!)

1 empty yogurt cup of oil

1 tsp. vanilla or almond extract

3 whole eggs

Mix well. Pour into an oiled and floured bundt pan (or 2 prepared loaf pans). Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. Turn cake out of pan(s) when cool.



If you ever ask me to bring something to a potluck, odds are that I will either bring this yogurt cake, bread pudding, or my chicken enchiladas (depending on the amount of time I have to cook). I hope you enjoy this cake as much as my family and I do.

2 comments:

jewellspring said...

Yum! I will definitely try this recipe. Seems right up my alley (simple!).

I'm sorry to hear, though, that coffee is taking over tea~ah, but not surprise the act of stopping work for something sweet is still called "tea".

bcgal00 Rae said...

I love this recipe. I'm going to try this!