Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The Scarf, She is Finished!




So here are a couple of photos showing off the new scarf.  I think it is absolutely lovely, don't you?  The reason I am so excited about it is this is the first item I have knit from yarn I have spun myself. Let me share all the details, OK?

The yarn was spun from a Colonial roving (I originally thought it was a merino) which I purchased last October from Alpaca Direct in Brentwood.  This store just opened last year and has an amazing variety of yarns and rovings for spinning.  Anyway, the color is called Agate, and you can see more information about it here . If you follow that link and look at the roving, you will see that it is multi-color, not just "grey".  The blue swirl really adds to the finished product, and gives the yarn a very professional look.  The yarn was spun as a fine lace weight on my Cascade Mt. Shuksan drop spindle and knit on a size 5 bamboo needle.  4 ounces of roving resulted in enough  yarn to knit a 40" long  X 7" wide scarf.


The pattern was modified from a lace shawl pattern in order to get a narrower piece.  Here is the pattern, should you want to give it a try.  (Note, I am not a professional pattern writer, so I am writing this as I knit it.  If you are having troubles understanding or following the pattern, drop me an e-mail).

Pattern - a repeat of the following 2 rows:
Row 1 (right side): knit 4 stitches, knit 2 stitches together (3 times), knit 1 then yarn over (6 times), knit 2 stitches together (6 times), knit 1 then yarn over (6 times), knit 2 stitches together (6 times), knit 1 then yarn over (6 times), knit 2 stitches together (3 times), knit 4 stitches.  Turn.

Row 2 (wrong side) knit 4 stitches, purl to last 4 stitches (purl 54 stitches), knit 4 stitches. Turn.

To knit the scarf:

Cast on 62 stitches.

First edge (4 rows):
     Row 1: Work Row 1 of pattern
     Row 2: Knit  (62 stitches)
     Row 3: Work Row 1 of pattern
     Row 4 knit (62 stitches)

Body of scarf:
     Work Row 1 and Row 2 in pattern until scarf is desired length.  Leave enough yarn to knit last edge (4
     rows) plus bind off.

Last edge (4 rows):
     Row 1: Work Row 1 of pattern

     Row 2: Knit (62 stitches)
     Row 3: Work Row 1 of pattern
     Row 4 knit (62 stitches)

Bind off all stitches loosely, in knit stitch.

Please send me a photo if you decide to try this pattern,  I would love to put it up here on this blog and share your work with others.

So from start to finish, the scarf took almost 3 ADHD months.  It took far longer to spin the yarn than to knit up the scarf.  But it is finally complete and I love the fact that there was more to this than just knitting the yarn.  The next step in the process would be to dye my own roving, and that will happen with time.  Hmmmmm, I wonder how my husband would feel about sheep in the back yard.








/

No comments: