Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Sharing Another Quilt From This Last Year

I am busy knitting a scarf from some gorgeous merino yarn that I finished spinning for myself in November.  But it is not finished yet, so I will just share another one of my projects from this last year.


This is another one of my favorite scrap quilts.  The pattern is called Autumn Leaves and the colors come from leaves that I once saw in friend's yard while visiting her in Pennsylvania.  I ended up making 2 identical quilts - she owns one and I own the other.  They were both started about 8 years ago, and hers was finished in a very timely manner. So to be honest, only the pieced leaves are identical on the quilts. My quilt took a bit longer because I did not buy enough border fabric for both quilts, and then could not find the border fabric that I wanted on mine.  I finally finished my quilt this last year, and I LOVE it.  The colors go with absolutely NOTHING in my house, and I think that is the beauty of a scrap quilt.

Scrap quilts are my favorites to make and to look at.  I think it is because I own so danged much fabric in small pieces, and it needs to be used up. I am trying very hard to not buy more fabric because I am drowning in my current stash.  You quilters our there know exactly what I am talking about, don't you?  Sometimes we want to use special fabrics (like plaids, florals or kid prints) in a quilt, so we just might have to buy more fabric, but sometimes we just let our quilting friends know that we will be more than happy to take their scraps off their hands. As my friend Marilyn always says - FRIENDS SHARE!

OK, so much for today's fun - I am off to clean up the Tuesday night kitchen mess.  This weekly mess comes from my darling family's need to cook for themselves on Tuesday night while I go off to quilt.  Cleaning it up is a small price to pay for the joy I get from hanging with my friends for a couple of hours.

Ciao for now!

No comments: