Tuesday, January 19, 2010

This is what I am working on today


The rain is coming down and the wind is blowing hard.  I keep watching the three, 30 foot tall white birch trees in my backyard sway back and forth, hoping that their roots are firmly planted in the ground.  I can deal with the branches falling off, but do not EVEN want to think about one or more huge trees in my family room.

So, weather like this means that it is a quilting day.  My "Tuesday morning, once a month" quilting group did not meet this morning, and I would not have been able to join them even if they did.  So I have next week to look forward to sewing, gabbing and laughing with my friends.  But I still need to "touch fabric" today.  So I have decided to sandwich and baste one of my tops that needs to be quilted.  This is another one of those "long time in the making" tops - the red and blue stars on cream backgrounds were started after we returned from South Africa in 1994.  I was feeling happy about being back home, so I figured a red, "white" and blue quilt was just the thing to celebrate with. 

I love the Sawtooth Star pattern and so pulled fabrics and started to cut and sew.  The blocks were started in 1994 and finally finished in 2009.  Once they were finished, I had to hurry up and add the sashing, posts and borders before life got in the way once more.  You see, it is not that I don't want to finish a project once it is started, it is just that other things (i.e., life) get in the way.  And OK, I guess I AM kind of ADHD when it comes to my projects.  It is easy to get me interested in lots of things at the same time, so there are always 5 or 6 different projects going.  They will all get done, just not right away and not in the order in which they were started.  That's just the way it is......

So the quilt will be ready in a few hours to put on my trusty Bernina for quilting - maybe later today, maybe later this week, maybe in a couple of weeks.  But I feel that some sort of progress has been made, at least.  So now do you understand why the scarf of the handspun yarn is not finished yet?

No comments: